About Ford Farm House
Ford Farm House was built in the late 1800’s, with an extension added in the 1980’s.
A near-by field played an important part in the first ever Isle of Wight Festival in 1968.
Ford Farm House is now owned by Robin and Shirley Thornton who previously ran their popular, family hotel in St. Lawrence, for over thirty years.
Ford Farm House is the home of Robin and Shirley Thornton. Previously, and for over thirty years, they ran their popular, family hotel in St. Lawrence, which was owned by three generations of the Thornton family.
They then moved on to run a successful bed & breakfast in the heart of Whitwell, and now, at Ford Farm House, the Thorntons currently offer one-bedroom accommodation, with continental breakfast, as well as a recently converted Self-Catering cottage with twin beds, ideal for two people.
We have lived on the Isle of Wight for quite a while and as a result we have got to know a lot of people who also reside here. Local communities are very active across the Island, and we often help out at our local village hall with other members of our community. Robin is somewhat of a history buff and has held talks for local residents about the local history of the area, and we’re happy to share this knowledge with guests too! We’ve also lent a hand at church fetes and
other local events that often raise money for local causes and organisations. I have also spent around 14 years as a volunteer for the Island’s hospice, Earl Mountbatten, a place which provides essential care to people who are in need and have often spent many years contributing to local communities. Voluntary work has been a great way to give back to those in need within the community and to the people who work so hard to care for others. ~ Shirley Thornton.
Message From the Owners
“Our aim is still to offer our guests comfortable accommodation in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Far-reaching views, in a quiet and peaceful location, make this the perfect place for an enjoyable, refreshing, holiday.”
Owners Robin & Shirley Thornton
Brief History of Ford Farm
The earliest reference to the farm, that we have found, is in 1560 when a Richard Newman was stated to be “of Northford.” Adjacent to our house, is the location of the old mill, and the mill- house, with parts of that dwelling dating to 1618. The Worsley family, great Island landowners, subsequently were in possession, with Edward Worsley mentioned in 1712.
Thereafter, it was in the hands of various owners, until the whole farm was split up and sold on in 2006. The main part of Ford Farm House was built in the late 1800’s, with an extension added in the 1980’s.
This photograph is of Ford Farm House taken from a plane that flew over our house during which works were being carried out to convert the double garage behind the house into a self-catering cottage ‘Little Granville‘
Hosted the first ever Isle of Wight Festival in 1968
One of the Fields at Ford Farm called Hayles Field, translated into “Hell Field” by the press, was the site of the first Isle of Wight Festival which took place way back in 1968. The Artists that performed in that year included Jefferson Airplane, The Move, T Rex, The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Plastic Penny and The Mirage. Ten thousand people came to the Isle of Wight to watch the acts play on a rough stage made up of two trailers. The following year, the organisers decided to try to attract bigger names and after much persuasion, Bob Dylan agreed to headline after viewing a film of the Island showing its wonderful natural beauty and literary history. He was par ticularly swayed by the thought of performing at the place where Alfred Lord Tennyson once resided. Other acts appearing that year included Joe Cocker, Free, Richie Havens and The Moody Blues.
You can see more about the Isle of Wight Festival and who to expect to be playing at the next festival on their website.
The blue marker on the map below shows the field where the first Isle of Wight Festival took place.